There are a lot of things to think about in the lead up to your big day, but make sure to factor yourself in too! Self-care and self-love are crucial if you want to feel rested and energized on your big day.
Here are our top things to be aware of in the lead up to your wedding day:
- Sleep, sleep, sleep! Getting enough rest is vital for the correct functioning of the body. Without enough sleep the amount of grehlin (the hormone that tells us we’re hungry) in our body increases which means lots of snacking and waving goodbye to your pre-wedding clean eating! Apart from this, sleep deprivation weakens the immune system and makes you more susceptible to getting sick, as well as causing dark circles under the eyes and a bad complexion. It’s pretty obvious: sleep is very important.
- New skincare and make up products. Many brides start to stress about their beauty regime at the last minute and decide to try out something new in the lead up to the wedding. Not a good idea! Keep using what your skin is used to in order to avoid allergic reactions, skin irritations and breakouts that can come from trying out new products. Save the trial and error for after the wedding, when you don’t have pictures to pose for and hundreds of people looking at you all day.
- Alcohol. Although a glass of red wine is said to have some amazing anti-oxidants, you can do without these in the lead up to your big day. Alcohol contains extra calories and can make you look and feel puffy because of it’s sulfurous gasses. It also dilates your blood vessels, which can lead to redness (a no-go for those all important pictures!)
- New hairstyles and hair colours. Don't make these changes unless you're still quite a few weeks away form the big day. New colors and haircuts sometimes don't go as planned and hairdresser mishaps can ruin a person’s entire month, never mind ruin their wedding day, better safe than sorry!
- Liquid diets and detoxes. Brides seem to think this is the best way to drop weight right before the wedding, but these are not the best idea. You desperately need energy and nutrition to keep you going while you pick up family and run last minute errands as the wedding day approaches. Juice cleanses contain little nutrients and lots of sugar, leading to low energy and irritability. Rather eat lots of fresh fruit and veg and drink lots of water, so much easier and so much better for you!
Although these tips seem really simple and straightforward, things can get very overwhelming as the wedding day approaches, and even the most obvious needs get forgotten. Keep things simple and avoid self-induced dramas at all costs!